Monday, March 9, 2009

Uhhh...Say What?

So here I am, sitting in front of my laptop, doing a little correspondence/cyber catch-up with life outside small-time Oz when a disturbing discovery arises: I have a little international news going in the background via the fifty inch tv where I'm currently residing (yep. a fifty inch t.v. they have-but no air conditioner. I mean, come on), and a statement one of those crazy accented newscasters utters grabs my attention. Ahem- "The vatican celebrated International Women's Day today citing the washing machine as the ultimate liberator for women." 
Say What? 
I whipped my head around, intent to check that I had actually heard correctly-I mean, maybe I'm just imagining things. I have just worked three days of eight hour shifts waking up by 5am, and perhaps I've gone a little soft in the head consequently. Nope. This was the actual new story. Well, being the skeptical little bunny i am (you KNOW you can't believe everything you see on TV right?) I pulled up google to do a little research. Here are my findings:
-A recent article in recognition of International Women's Day in the official Vatican newspaper, Osservatore Romano made the claim, stating that the appliance had played "the most part in the emancipation of Western women in the twentieth century."
-"The washing machine and the emancipation of women: put in the powder, close the lid and relax" 
-Headline of the Article in Osservatore Romano (the OFFICIAL daily newspaper of the Vatican)
You have GOT to be kidding me. Of all the advancements made in the last century (we're talking women's suffrage, equal rights act, entering the workforce, legal rights within marriage, rise of women's higher education),how can one of the most influential entities in the world, not to mention one that I immensely respect being a catholic myself, make such an ignorant statement? I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but the evidence is pretty damning. Let's just hope this is a slight miscommunication, or perhaps more a personal opinion of the writer than a stance by the Vatican. However, I'm still appalled of its appearance in their official media source to the public. Let's just hope this isn't an insight into their actual beliefs. 

On a side, yet slightly related note, today is ALSO Barbara Millicent Robert's 50th Birthday. Yep Barbie is 50. In case you were wondering, the old girl was born in Willow Wisconsin, a full two years before Ken. Although I wouldn't exactly link her with women's emancipation, I do have fond memories of Babs growing up. So Happy Birthday Barbie....here's to the next 50. 


3 comments:

Ivy said...

youre the best.

Anonymous said...

The point of "La lavatrice e lemancipazione della donna" was not some official Vatican announcement- it was a humorous look at the history of the ups and downs of women's relationship with the machine.

The issue of Osservatore Romano (in addition to calls to action on conflict in Somalia, Sri Lanka, and Zimbabwe) also included two Women's Day articles of a more serious tone, including the increasingly important role of female leadership in the church and society.

Which is not to say that Giulia Galeotti is not a fine and witty writer (she is the newspaper's expert on legal history). She explains that the massively overhyped "super housewife, smiling, rigged" stereotype of the 60's was designed to keep women in the home, and so is now regarded as "old, stale and sexist". The ancient practice of collective clothes washing, however, with its attendant exchange of "talk, knowledge, and song" falls in and out of fashion.

I love you, Dad

Trisha said...

Thanks for making me laugh out loud! Loved this blog entry! Love you!

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine