Thursday, October 20, 2011

Life Transition #56,782,926*

*completely accurate approximation by writer's self-evaluation

I've come to the self realization that I, Shivonne Nicole Glenn, am a woman captivated by transition. Change, movement, evolution, passage, metamorphosis, transformation- pretty exciting stuff, am I right? This is one of the major underlying factors that makes travel so enticing to me.  I read "transition" as "adventure".

In juxtaposition, or in harmony (I haven't quite decided which), with my love of transition is my  obsessive need to always 'have a plan'. As a free thinker (doesn't that sound wonderfully pretentious?), I believe one of the greatest attractions of my projected idea of transition is the complete upheaval of it all. An organic experience you can't predict, a crazy ride you jump on in the hopes of having your world turned upside down so you can come out breathless on the other side, not quite certain how you arrived at the destination. But no, I always have a 'plan'. More often than not, some elaborate list tidily recorded to recite upon enquiries in the 'what are you doing with your life' vein that are never actually realized. Case in point, my 'plan' for the last three weeks was to research volunteer work, update my resume, organize my wedding website, complete my visa application, and become a certified group exercise instructor. What do I do instead? Dye my hair red, make numerous attempts in Asian food preparation, party a weekend away in Bristol, and immerse myself so deeply into Jane Austen literature that I've half convinced myself that I am indeed a nineteenth century novel heroine.

Transition indeed.

1 comment:

Ivy said...

i love you and i miss you and your life transitions INSPIRE!

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine