Saturday, May 10, 2008

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Okay. So I know this quote by John Lennon has become somewhat cliche and common, but I really like and relate to it. Why? Because, I must confess, I am not a planner. This might come as a suprise to some of you, and I understand that. I have my planners stuffed with lists and pictures, my color coordinated online calendars, my mulitple notebooks filled with list after list of everything you can imagine from the books I want to read to the items I want to purchase in my near (and distant) future, my ever growing and constantly changing records of what I want to do before I die, etc. I even had myself tricked into believing I was a planner, but, alas, it is not so. I've come to terms with it. I just really like to appear to have things organized while avoiding the actual decision making process. Mature and healthy behavior for a twenty-two year old I'm sure. Gah, I hate to make decisions. They seem so final. And then you have to be responsible for that decision that you didn't want to make in the first place along with the consequences it entails. Plus, planning can eliminate so much of the excitement and ingenuity of life. In my short experience, it really is the random and unexpected twists of fate that make life exciting. Unfortunately, this isn't really realistic or entirely healthy behavior: prior consideration is often advisable if not necessary, if you don't act chances are someone else will do the decision making for you, and if you really want to take full advantage of this one chance at life we are given, plans must be made.

My anticipated return to Texas is quickly approaching; I only have 67 days until my scheduled flight home and 10 weeks remaining on a non renewable/non extendable blue card which allows me to work in the UK. Now despite how much I adore Texas, despite the fact I have not even considered a respectable post college career, despite how much (and this is the big one) I miss and love all you wonderful people, I am not ready to come settle down. I've only been away a little over three months, and that is like a little vacation from reality, a mere wrinkle in the time that constitutes my (hopefully) long life, and not an adequate length of time to really experience life abroad. I think I've mentioned before that I was looking into a visa so I could live in Ireland; however, the visa I would be able to obtain would only last for three months before they kicked my booty back to the states. Fortunately, another opportunity has opened up. My boss has expressed interest in me staying longer than my planned time. I let him know that I had no control over it, I couldn't extend my visa, and it wasn't up to me, but I would be interested in staying longer if possible. To make a long story short, there's a pretty good chance for me to get an open ended visa, paid by the company, that would allow me to work anywhere in the UK. Catriona (one of the administrative staff) has put my paperwork through and a letter should come through the post in the next few weeks that I need to take to the British Embassy while I'm at home in order to request an out of country visa. It isn't guaranteed that I will get the visa after all this, so I need to look into it more, but I think it's an exciting idea anyway.

Well that is as far as my planning process has progressed presently (like that tongue twister?). I'll keep you updated as I get more information, and please give me any advice you might have and keep me in your prayers. I love you all so much, and I really appreciate all the support you give. Love always, Shivonne.

3 comments:

Ivy said...

too bad it feels like forever on this side of the pond. :( im glad you are enjoying it, but i miss you!!!! im praying for all the decisions youre making! dont you worry, we'll never stop loving you no matter what continent you lay down to sleep in. :) xoxo lover.

April said...

aww ditto. i'm so glad that you're enjoying your time and growing. your strength is so refreshing..i was thinking about you the other day and it made me miss your laugh :) and hope that you were laughing a lot. miss you love :*

Kim said...

Shivonne,
I am much happier w/this idea since it sounds as though you will still get to come home for a while. It seems to me it is certainly an idea worth pursuing since you are interested in staying longer. I will be praying for you and for God to show you your path. I love you.
Mom

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine