Sunday, May 4, 2008

So...I'm a dirty liar.

Okay. I realize in my last post, I might have mentioned something about providing more timely updates and not waiting an entire week before letting y'all know what's going on in the world according to Shivonne. Turns out, I lied. It has, once again, been an entire week since I've blogged. I know, I know-it's quite shocking, but I really haven't felt as if I had anything interesting or of significance to relay. And remember, it's not the quantity of posts that matters-it's all about quality baby. Well, except maybe for this one. This is more in the way of a self imposed guilt trip blog. On top of that, I'm selling out and totally copying one of Miss L Dee's blogs....that's right. Pictures. Of where I work. This way when you find yourself asking, 'I wonder what that fun girl Shivonne is up to', you can picture me working which is pretty much all I do these days besides sleeping. So without further ado, here is a visual representation of my life (*bonus-a picture's worth a thousand words so this should cover me for awhile):

MHOR Bread-my place of employment-situated right smack on main street near where the coaches drop off, so we get quite busy with tourists in addition to the locals who come in practically everyday.This is the sign you see when you walk in the door...recognize the handwriting? I unfortunately have to claim responsibility for the cheesy logo bit on the bottom. What can I say, people just eat it up. Go figure. P.S. I didn't mispell Lasagna, that's how they spell it here apparently. Silly Brits.


Me showing off my front window display. After all, it's all about the window...it's how you seduce people to come in the shop. Okay, seduce might be too strong of a word, but trust me, it works.

A close up of the window products...mostly scones. People here are crazy for scones and tea cakes; you wouldn't believe how many types there are! Plain, wheaten, fruit, soda, soda fruit, treacle, tatty (as in potato), cheese (mmmm...these are super good right out of the oven), pancakes, crumpets.....

Monika posing behind the cake display arranged by yours truly. I like to think of myself as the artistic director of cakes. Hmmm. Too much? I thought so- sounds a bit pretentious not to mention ridiculous. I just like to make it seem like I'm important. Anywho, this is at the beginning of the day so the shelves are still full of bread and the cakes haven't been ravaged by customers in need of a sugar fix.

CAKES! (you'd think I'd get tired of them after serving all day, but no such luck. Working in a bakery is dangerous business for your waist line, I'll tell you that much.)Pies. Yes, there is a difference between pies and cakes. Here in Scotland land, Cakes are the sweet stuff, and pies are primarily meat goods. Again, tons of variety-Scotch (mince beef), Steak, Chicken, Chicken Curry, Venison, Steak and Haggis, Steak and Black Pudding, Haggis, Vegetarian, Macaroni, Sausage Rolls, Bridies (mince beef and onion in a pasty). What will I do with all the useless pie knowledge when I return to Texas? Oh yeah, and that little ginger haired girl grimacing in the background is Christina-one of the really cute local school kids who works part time. I like her. She's silly. This little gem is the downstairs office/storage unit/employee break room/locker where I duck into to escape from customers to grab a quick bite or drink and regroup for the next round of people desperately in need of mhor bread. Sorry, I just can't help myself.Christina and Lauren (the other sweet school girl who works with me on the weekends) modeling our new long awaited red aprons that we received today. Monika described them as something her Grandma might wear. I wouldn't go as far as all that, but they definately don't live up to the hype they were given. Well I guess that's pretty much all for now. I'd upload more photos, but it takes freaking forever to get them on the post. When I get a chance, I'll make another online album so you can see all the pics I took of the shop...there are some really cool ones of cakes Luis the pastry chef made for display. Sorry for the lame post, but maybe I'll have some more interesting news in the near future...I'm trying to think over my future plans. I let you know when I have more details. Until then, I'll be thinking of y'all as always. I love you guys!

3 comments:

Darrell Glenn said...

Hey Darling, Quality is a good thing, and you certainly achieved it with this post. I throughly enjoyed seeing where you work. I think you will be suprised how much of your new found knowlege and skills you can use later wherever you are.

Kim said...

I'm with Dad. I love all of your posts and especially enjoyed seeing this one of where you work. It's all new to us.
Love you.

Ivy said...

yay! thanks for letting us in on Mhor bread! i love knowing where you work and getting ti imagine more vividly what your days are like.

i miss you and cant wait till you come visit me. as promised. :)

tell chris i say yo.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine