Saturday, July 19, 2008

Underneath this Amarillo Sky...



Coming home is an odd sensation-I feel as if I haven't been away, yet so much has changed. Why do humans have this egotistical way of thinking that life stops in their absence? It's so irrational, but I always expect life to pick up exactly where I left it even though time and time again I'm proven wrong. Since I've left my bigger brother has moved away to university, my older sister has temporarily moved home in preparation for her wedding, our family car of the last 15 years has been replaced, and I won't even start on how different the house looks. But despite all the new, despite all the different, I'm happy to be home.


My trip home was tiring but, thankfully, mostly uneventful. My reservation was lost for my first flight but in an uncharacteristic move I was actually prepared for once and arrived three hours early at the airport so all was well. Other trip highlights: I slept on the plane! Ok, this might not seem like a big deal for most, but I never am able to sleep when I fly, and I mean NEVER. On a twenty-three hour flight to New Zealand I dozed a total of 20 minutes despite taking a full dosage of benadryl. So after two movies, a two hour nap, three screaming kids, a very nice but very chatty seat neighbor. and a good portion of my new book I arrived back in Texas via the Houston airport. As I walk into the terminal, I'm exhausted (by this time it's three o'clock in the morning my time), hot, and not looking forward to my layover. That is until I saw Schlotzky's. There I am, in the middle of a group of people scurrying off to claim baggage/catch a connecting flight/etc and I seriously stop dead in the middle of the walkway and say, outloud, YES! After a few odd stares I jumped in line and got my first American meal complete with BBQ chips. Mmmmmm. Afterwards I caught a few more z's-on the floor of the airport, and I'm not even ashamed (although I did hear a girl through my semi-comitose state ask her dad why that girl is laying on the floor). Two hours later I landed in Amarillo met by my awesome family. It is so good to be home.


Since I've arrived, I've had a great dinner with my grandparents, managed to see Whitney for a few minutes as she passed through town for her big concert (so jealous btw), spent some quality time with the fam, played with the dogs, and slept A LOT. For some reason my jet lag this time around has been so much worse. Today I'm off to Dallas with my Mom for my cousin's girlfriend's baby shower. Oh, and I still haven't found my bridesmaid dress despite searching through over 25 shops on Oxford Street in London. Gah. Wish me luck, because I'm getting pretty desperate.


So I'm home, but I cannot wait to see everyone else. I hate that we're in the same state yet still so far apart. I'm going to try to work the least amount possible so I can get visits in with everyone. I still miss you all...


2 comments:

April said...

ahhh! i'm so glad you're home and made it without any major hiccups. I'm still here in Austin..Ed and I are moving to our new place on the 9th, and you're more than welcome to come visit! Please let me know if there are any reunions going on, i miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

sounds like your having a great time hun. come back soon and yes i know im being selfish.lol

chris

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine