Thursday, July 16, 2009

My life has become boring...

Well, not BORING exactly I guess. Just predictable. I know what you're thinking, 'Quit complaining-you're living in a cool new country silly!' This is true, but I think the novelty is wearing off. Now that I've been in Melbourne for about a month, I've done most of my major sightseeing, I've learnt my way around, and I've started to settle in. I guess the opportunity to travel to lots of exciting new places can spoil a girl sometimes...

Thankfully though, Melbourne is one awesome city, and it's standing the test of time. I've gotten past the touristy stage and the city still has my heart. Every time I step out that hostel door and my anxious feet hit the worn pavement I get excited all over again. I think I just might be a big city kinda a gal. I'm especially crazy for this big city with it's majestic architecture, funky vibe, and amazing shopping (not that I have the money to spend-so mostly window shopping for me). I've even settled into my own little routine; everyday I feel a little less touristy and just a bit closer to an actual resident.

So what does my routine consist of? I'll tell you upfront it's not very exciting, but it is comfortable. Since I only work two days a week (Fridays and Sundays) I have a lot of free time so I have the luxury of filling it as I please. I generally resist the urge to sleep in too late-the free breakfast is a pretty good deterrent for this since it ends at 9. Some days I'm super good and wake up to eat brekky with Chris before he leaves for work at 7. I'm not gonna lie, that doesn't happen all that often, but it's very admirable when it does. After my peanut butter and banana toast and cup of tea (that's the old English boyfriend rubbing off on me) I throw on my running gear and go for a jog in one of the lovely gardens gracing this city. I've been going for about three weeks, and I'm slowly improving. I made the mistake of going during the lunch run rush one day and was totally embarrassed by my running inadequacy. There were hardcore runners training for marathons and stuff plus all the business folks on their lunch break-every single one passed my slow butt on the path. I thought I felt bad enough, but that was before a mom jogging behind her baby stroller breezed past. Gah. I never was a runner though...

After completing my apparently very mild run, I shower and get ready for the day, check my emails, try to knock off a few more chapters from War and Peace which I still haven't managed to complete (I'm 3/4 of the way done though so things are looking up in my literary world), make a run to the market if need be, and then cook up some lunch. I always make my big meals at lunch since the community kitchen gets super busy in the evenings. I like cooking in the big, calm, empty kitchen-very therapeutic. After lunch it's off to the State Library of Victoria which I have fallen in love with. The massive Victorian building just screams intellect so I can get away posing like one (an intellect that is).

There is very reliable free wifi (unlike the crappy wifi supplied at my hostel) and books upon books at my fingertips begging to be read. I am a proud holder of a Victoria Library Card and have even learned to make book requests online. Nice. My major library activity however is researching subjects I find interesting in the hopes of directing my hopefully future career in the right direction. I picked up a chic notebook so I would be inspired to super diligent note-taking. So far it's working so my self-psycho manipulation is very successful, though probably not a future career choice. I head home when the grumpy library staff kicks me out at 9pm (I guess it IS closing time so they are entitled) to make a light dinner, and if I think I deserve to be treated (which I usually do) I pick up a 50 cent McDonald's soft serve cone on the way home-who knew happiness was one ice cream cone away?






2 comments:

Ivy said...

aww! shiv! life seems so peaceful and pleasant! i love it! im glad you get that ice cream cone - you totally deserve it! plus your rocking the ever dreadful run each day! thats awesome! i miss you - i get to see you in like two weeks... its soooo amazing! i love you i love you!

April Allen Buck said...

ugh...i flipping HATE running. i've been trying to stick too it too, lately, so i definitely feel your pain. and definitely think ice cream is the perfect way to reward oneself for a day done right :)

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine