Thursday, July 23, 2009

Oh no you didn't...

Making my way through the labyrinth of fabulous back streets and lane ways comprising much of the awesomeness Melbourne has to offer, I spot a shop that seems to be drawing me to it with a force a Jedi would be jealous of. Not one to shrug off such a strong inclination, I march quick like a bunny (something my mom used to say to us kids when we were little-it makes me smile) under the prominent sign displaying the store name-Shag. As I enter the colorful room, Cabaret is being serenaded to me by none other than Liza Manelli and I instantly feel at home. No, it's not one of THOSE places silly, it's a vintage boutique!

Today I went-eek!-shopping. Bad, bad Shivonne, bad (that's the judgement I'm conveniently pre-projecting on all my readers for efficiency's sake) Now I know what your thinking, 'um...with what money may I ask?' Yes, it's true I'm on the wrong side of a stable financial situation here with my little work 2 days a week butt, but I couldn't help myself people! I've been in the fashion capital of Australia for 6 weeks now and the only lousy amateur wanna be shopping I've done is to pick up a pair of black work trousers from Target. Lame. It's a disgrace to any self respecting fashionista to be truthful. So today I redeemed myself by exploring all the local, funky, occasionally vintage boutiques in my direct vicinity. There were a lot. Unfortunately I had an excuse to buy (don't we always?) as I really have no appropriate wedding week gear for one little miss Ivy's upcoming nuptials. However even in my blissfully euphoric state I couldn't justify purchasing most of the items I desired (primarily in the flirty fun frock category) due to financial constraints. I contained my shopping spree to two delicious items which I personally think is very admirable. Check out my finds:


This is my very sweet, very demure 'I can snazzy up a pair of skinny jeans' top. It would have been wrong not to buy it-it was the last one, in my size, and ON SALE. Who am I to deny fate? The damage? 45 Aussie dollars (roughly $30 American). Not too bad eh?
I really wanted to post an image of my second tasty fashion treat, but after about a bazillion tries it STILL won't upload. Just that one photo. I can upload every other picture off my computer to my heart's content but that ONE photo is a no go. How stupid is that? Plus I really wanted to show you- it's an adorable stainless steel owl pendant called Hootie. It's a Corky Saint Clair creation-very Melbourne, very cool. Exclusively featuring local artists and jewelery designers, even getting there is an adventure- you walk down the Degraves street stairs into the hidden depths of the Flinders Street Station to find the interesting underground shop named after a character in the film 'Waiting for Guffman'. Needless to say, I adore Hootie, but I guess you'll have to meet him in person instead of via blog. C'est la vie.
...Oh yes I did.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I am so happy you got to buy something new! I wish we could have communicated, I would love to have 'bought' you something.
I love you.
Mom

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine