Saturday, March 27, 2010

London Calling

Greetings from across the jolly ol' pond!

After a 14 hour and 8 hour set of flights, 6 hour layover in Abu Dhabi, crossing numerous timezones, moving up a hemisphere, countless movie viewings (thank you in air flight entertainment), and very little sleep, Chris and I arrived at London Heathrow Airport on Monday evening weary but content to reach our final destination for the moment. After clearing customs and collecting our bags we were met by Chris' parents who graciously picked us up from the airport (more public transportation at this moment seemed insurmountable). Walking out of the airport doors into the misty chill of early London spring brought a smile to my face....how I do love Great Britain.

For some reason, I've always romanticized England, and really the whole UK in general. My short time residing here two years ago only reinforced my passionate love affair with the country, and I've been anticipating my return ever since. It might be because I've adored Jane Austen from an early age, it might be the sheer oldness of a country with such a longer, richer history than my own (let's not kid ourselves, the good old US of A is a baby in this world), it might be the castles, the rolling green countryside, the accents, the winding roads, the architecture. It might be my love for historical fiction revolving around the salacious court of Henry VII or my love for period films set in 19th century London. Whatever it is, to me, it's pure magic.

So far we've made good use of our time. Chris' family has been so welcoming and accommodating to me-from the homemade chicken curry feast his youngest sister Caroline concocted our first night back to the simple fact of opening their home to me a relative stranger. I haven't met Chris' other sister yet-Claire is working on her masters in Philosophy at Cambridge but will be meeting us up in Scotland for our holiday, but Caroline has been amazing. We went to the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square where she put good use to the History of Art degree she's currently studying. I felt as if I had my own personal guide leading me to highlight pieces and explaining the artist, setting, and background of each masterpiece. Next we took in the Portrait Gallery next door where I saw the likes of Richard III, Queen Elizabeth I, Anne Boleyn, Lily Allen, Kiera Knightly, and the Beatles. The next day was less culture but more money intensive-yes, the very important task of shopping was seen to. We decided not to play around (we're not amateurs for goodness sakes) and made our way straight to Oxford Street. After hitting up Topshop, H&M, Urban Outfitters, and even making a wistful trip down Bond Street to admire Chanel, Tiffany's, Cartier, Prada, and every other high end label you can think of from the safety of the street side of the glass we set homeward several pounds lighter but with our shopping fix in place.

Today (Saturday) we're busy packing for our big Scottish adventure. We leave very, very early tomorrow morning for our long scenic drive up, and I'm beyond excited. We even get to revisit Callander, the village where Chris and I met and worked during my last British trist. But first we have our first big night out on the city tonight. Chris' friend Sam's 25th birthday bash is tonight at an American retro bowling alley/bar where we'll enjoy live music, dancing, and I'll finally get to meet all his mates. Big night out followed by early morning drive? I did always love a challenge.

2 comments:

Ivy said...

this sounds incredible! i admire your sense of adventure so very much! what a beautiful life story you will have to tell when its all said and done. i love you dearie - pack lightly and travel safely! i seriously cannot wait to see photos!

Kim said...

I am excited about all of your travels, art, historic sites, etc, but what did you buy on your shopping excursion? H&M, Topshop how fun! I am glad things are going well. Enjoy Scotland. I have to admit I'm just a wee bit jealous.
Love,
Mom

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine