Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Wrap Up

Our bags are packed. We're ready to go.* Tomorrow we embark on our whirlwind Australian tour before departing this great country. Since we have a mere two day interval between our tour conclusion and our international departure, the last few days have been full of tying up loose ends here in Williamstown.

Today is the last work shift for both Chris and me, and we're both a little sad about leaving our jobs. We've both been blessed with amazing coworkers and some great memories. Last night my bosses and fellow Pickle Barrelites (aka my coworkers) threw a farewell dinner in my honor. How amazing is that? I've only been with them seven months, and they actually put together a bon voyage party just for me. We had a lovely dinner at an extremely tasty local thai restaurant complete with good food, great conversation, and of course a few bottles of wine (what can I say but they know me well). I even received a parting gift! Who knew people buy you presents just for leaving. Hmm...on second consideration that might be saying something. In a further display of how well they've come to know me, I was gifted a wonderfully compact and stylish pocket notebook (the one that currently resides in my purse at all times for quick access is rather grubby and appears to belong to a ten year old student), a reading light for the plane (don't you just hate putting on that overhead light above your seat? I feel like I'm in the spotlight for people trying to sleep to glare at me), and a very unique and awesome ring. I couldn't think of a better gift. After dinner I returned home where Chris was entertaining a few of his work friends, and we stayed up into the wee hours of the morning sitting on the back porch giggling the night away.

This morning Chris had to wake up early to open the restaurant, but since I'm not scheduled in until noon I made a trip to the bank, did some fancy overseas money tranfer, online checked us into our morning flight for tomorrow, and now I'm chatting with you fine folks before heading in for my last day. Tomorrow our next adventure begins at 6am no less since we have to make it to the airport by eight. Earlier than I'd like to start a vacation yes, but oh so worth it.

So this week as you go about your daily lives, think of me and Chris exploring central Australia and try not to be too terribly jealous. I'll return next week with a recap of our travels!

*Um...actually, technically speaking, they are not. Not even a little. But it sounds way cooler to say it this way than admit I never pack until the very last minute possible. What can I say? John Denver conveyance beats mine everytime.

1 comment:

Ivy said...

So fun & romantic too!! Safe travels! Can't wait to see pictures! Post someeeeee

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine