Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Replacement

I don't know what it is about the word replacement that draws such a negative image to the mind. When you look it up in the dictionary, it basically just means a substitute-something that can take the place of another. Like, I want to replace that apple with an orange. Maybe the apple is just as good, but at the moment you just feel like an orange. No big deal. However, when we put our human egos into the equation, the whole replacement theory starts to turn a bit nasty....the connotation of something being as good as or (gasp) better than us isn't the nicest feeling in the world I suppose. Regardless, I think I have. Been replaced that is. And you don't even know the worst of it yet, but I guess I should start from the beginning....





Monday was, once again, my day off. It started off a bit rocky though; since Monika is out of town, I wasn't sure if I would have to wait until she returned in the middle of the week to have an off day, and Veronika didn't get the schedule ready for me to check since she was behind on paperwork. Because I wasn't sure, I decided to be a good little worker and show up just in case. Unfortunately, I managed to sleep through my alarm. I dashed downstairs, straight out of bed looking a mess mind you, and started to help putting out the pies. Veronika came in a little after nine and asked what I was doing working on my day off. Yep. I missed my once a week opportunity to actually sleep in a bit. Oh well, I decided to go ahead and take advantage of my early morning rising; I grabbed a roll and went off for a walk down mainstreet.





By eleven I had had quite the productive day. I cleaned my room, went to the post office, picked up some stuff from the pharmacy, and, of course, visited the pdsa charity shop. I swear, Veronika, Aimee, and I single handedly keep that place in business. It's really quite an addiction. There's something about shopping in a second hand store; it's like a treasure hunt everytime you go in. I think you appreciate things more when you work for them-digging through baskets, sorting through piles of books, and managing to time your visits just as they put out the "new" merchandise. Also, it doesn't hurt that it's a whole lot cheaper. Oh and for charity. That too. Sorry, I get a bit excited when I talk about it. On this morning, I managed to find a really cute gray shirt dress for only 2 pounds. Oh well, you'll soon see my impulsive buying is not near as bad as some....





Anywho, I digress. Onto the real story. After my errand running morning, I was giving myself a pedicure with my brand new nailpolish purchased during my productive morning when Tony and Chris walked in to see if I wanted to go to Stirling with them to shop. Since I had already blown a little hard earned cash, I figured I would be a good girl and stay away from any shopping centers and save money on bus fair (plus my nails were wet and I couldn't risk mucking up my beautiful paint job by putting on some shoes). No worries they said. We won't be long. We're just going to pick up a few CDs and DVDs. Right. About twenty minutes later as I laid back relaxing with a book, I began to think I might have made a poor decision letting those two big kids loose with their wallets in a whole city full of shops. Believe it or not, my shopaholic little butt is actually the rational one when it comes to stopping Chris from making impulse purchases. Turns out my feminine intuition was right on. During their 'little' shopping trip, these two goofballs picked up a Playstation Three for Chris, 3 games to play on the new ridiculously expensive gaming device, games for Tony's PSP, DVDs, and CDs. Yeah. Oh, but here's the best part; Chris tried to sweeten me up before I found out; he woke me up from a nap with a gift. It was actually very sweet- he bought me Breakfast at Tiffany's, one of my favorite movies, because I have it downloaded on my computer but it won't play right. I'm not gonna lie, this was a pretty smooth move. On top of that, he also bought me a bouquet of Lilies- he's actually the first guy I've gotten flowers from besides my Dad (don't worry Daddy, your flowers will always be my favorite). So I guess I'm set. Now that my boyfriend is dating a machine instead of me, I'll have a good flick to watch and something nice to smell. Seems fair enough to me. However, I've got plans of my own. I just might invest in a Guitar Hero as soon as I have enough tips saved up; we'll see who's the replaced one then...

6 comments:

Heather said...

Shivonne!!! Well at least the boy bought you something nice as a pre-apology sort of thing. I totally feel your pain Marcel might possibly be addicted to his X-box. For a while he was doing really good not playing, but he just rented this new game and it is back to normal playing away for hours. I just don't understand this with boys. Either way, I hope you enjoyed your day off and can't wait to see your Lilies open up!!

Ivy said...

ahhhhhhh ahaha you are frikken hilarious! silly, chris! boys can never get enough of thier toys though.. oh well! more girl time for us! i miss you dearly and for goodness sakes, woman... remember your day off every once in a while and get some sleep!!!

xoxo force.

April said...

hahaha that was an awesome post. boys and their toys! my brother recently moved to austin and is living with ed and his brother taylor, and between the 3 of them they have just about every gaming device out there. not to mention they're all computer gaming nerds too. sigh. i feel your pain, just make sure to get guitar hero and dominate him :)

Whitney said...

i love love love love you! im sorry ive been slacking on my blog reading and commenting (since we all know i dont write them!)

but...yeah, dont worry. you'll always be more entertaining than a ps3. TRUST me. he'll learn that soon enough.

i still cant tell you enough how much i ADORED talking to you on the phone!! i pretty much brag about it to everyone i know (even if they dont know you. ha.)!!!

i love you and i miss you. ill keep you posted on my life via FB!!

Anonymous said...

hey hey hey.i feel im getting a lot of slack.i deliberatley bought a second controller so that scrappy could play 2 lol. chris

Darrell Glenn said...

Hey Darling,
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I made that trip to NYC to see Gary and the Pope. Had a wonderful time, and thought about you wanting to live there. Gary even said that he was disappointed that none of you girls ended up living there, but I told him there was as still a pretty good chance of it. Just love reading your blogs, and I appreciate you putting so much of yourself into them. Love, Dad

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine