Friday, April 18, 2008

Rough day....


Today was kinda rough...it was just one of those days when everything is off kilter and you just don't feel quite right. To start off with, I've been sort of dreading today for the past week or so-three of my favorite girls in the world get to reunite for a little guitar hero playing, random dance party having, adventure finding, catching up, actually seeing each other in real life and hearing each other's voices reunion weekend.....without me. I managed to start my dreaded day off right whilst dressing for work. Now, my work uniform consists of black trousers and a black shirt...unfortunately, I only own one pair of black pants because I'm really picky about how my pants fit and I haven't managed to find another pair I like which is generally okay besides the fact I have to do some excessive washing to stay presentable. Anywho, this morning I was stepping into my pants when my clumsy butt stumbled, I tripped over my bed, sent my legs flying over my head into an aerial split, and ripped the whole backseam out. So there I am, three minutes before work, wearing a pair of what used to be a decent article of clothing that now resembles something a stripper might wear. Yikes. I think it's a sign when your pants rip that you might be eating too many cakes at work. Crap. Thankfully, ever the prepared boy scout, I threw open my cupboard, rummaged through my luggage, and searched frantically until I found my sewing kit. At this point in my post, I'd like to send an extra thank you out to two people: 1. My wonderful Grandma who taught me how to sew when I was wee girl (Scottish term...see, I'm learning!), and 2. My Mom who convinced me to bring this life saving sewing kit when I wanted to pack an extra pair of shoes instead. So I managed to handstich my trousers, (very carefully) get redressed, and made it downstairs only 10 minutes late. Luckily, Veronika wasn't mad because she thought the story was highly amusing...


The rest of the day didn't get much better; our already understaffed shop is missing Monika this week as well since she's on holiday back home, Aimee and Morag got off at two, so for the rest of the afternoon I was by myself in a busy shop dashing back and forth to the tearoom and kitchen to try and help out with clearing tables and doing the dishes. To really top it off, I managed to burn myself with a teapot....again. Now I have a big blotchy red welt on my forearm to match the burn scar on my finger. I should really learn how to operate those things more carefully.


Yeah, it's been a rough day. Sigh. It's funny really, I'm not really a person who gets homesick very easily. I didn't cry when I moved away to college, I don't constantly phone home (which is convenient since I don't own an operating phone anyways), I'm a very live in the moment and enjoy what's around you type of person. However, yesterday and today have been the most homesick days I have had so far. And it's not really homesick persay, it's more of I've been dwelling on what I'm missing out while I'm away. It's funny how the human mind works....rationally, I know life goes on whether I'm there to witness it or not. But in my mind and my heart, I feel as if time should stand still. See, I'm selfish like that. I want to be able to go off, have adventures, see the world, and for everything to wait for my return. Not childish thinking at all...huh? Well somedays, it just hits me on what I'm not there for....reunions with my besties, helping Reesy plan her wedding, watching my brothers grow up (I swear they are like new people everytime I go home), witnessing April get hitched and becoming Mrs. Buck (sorry, I just had to throw that in there love), Laura's graduation, Whitney's new man (yes, I'm talking about Mr. Eli), and, this is the worst bit, the little day to day life trivialities that aren't mentioned in emails or documented in pictures. It really is the little things that make life worth living, and I hate the feeling that I'm not around for them....but, then I think, even though it's difficult being away from home and everything that goes with it, I'm so lucky to have such amazing people to miss so much, to have the opportunity to live somewhere new and different where I can learn not only about other people but myself as well, to realize that y'all miss and love me too and always try to include me in what your up to, and most importantly know that no amount of distance can change how I feel about my friends, family, and home. So all in all, I don't think a little homesickness is a bad thing, on the contrary it reminds us of everything we have to live for, all the people we have the rest of our lives to catch up and share memories with, and that there really is no place like home. Thank you guys for being that for me....it almost makes feeling homesick a sweet thing.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I love you. I miss you also. I got your message and hope to talk w/you soon.
Love,
Mom

L-Kat said...

I GOT TO TALK TO YOU TODAYYYYYY!!! IT WAS SO GLORIOUS! i miss you so much and it just wasn't the same without you. we can't WAIT to see you and plan the most awesome force reunion ever. keep being amazing. love you.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine