Saturday, April 5, 2008

"Time, Always Time"

So I'm sitting in front of my laptop after a long busy day at work trying to figure out what I can write about my life today. I mean, it's been three days since I've updated so I figure it's time to blog again-I really do like to keep everyone I care about a close part of my life. However, when the time comes to actually record a piece of who I am right now into an ill fitting text that isn't a complete bore to read, my mind wanders rambling from topic to topic. But then something happens to direct my thoughts and today, today it happens to be a song.

I always have music on in the background whenever possible, sometimes actively listening to the lyrics, other times just letting the tune fill the silence with borrowed emotion. Anyways, the point I'm trying to get to is that I've been listening to one of my favorite artists-Damien Rice-while I've been on the computer-not really paying any particular attention until a certain song comes on that for some reason I stop and listen to, though I already know every word by heart, and it got me to thinking about time....

Time is such a funny concept; we try to measure it, capture it, beat it, change it, slow it, sometimes even stop it as if it is something we have the power to contain. But then, something happens and like a slap in the face we realize time has gotten the better of us again just when we thought we had it under control. I have been away from home for over two months now, and I really could not tell you where the time has gone. At some moments, I feel as if it has been an eternity since I heard y'alls laughter or seen your smile. Othertimes, I cannot believe my time abroad is halfway gone, and I only have three more months to squeeze in as many more experiences as I possibly can. I let time trick me, lulling me into the day to day routine of consistency and work and now I look up and weeks have flown by taking with them days I have lived to the fullest, and some days I just let pass me by. My goal for my remaining time here is to have more of those days I really take advantage of, grabbing opportunities, and making amazing memories and not so many of the days constricted by tiresome thoughts only of work, sleep, and what I have left on my to do list. Life is too beautiful to be continuously caught up in conceptualized notions such as time, for what difference does it make what time it is when you're truly enjoying life?

Okay, enough of my random thoughts on broad and overanalyzed topics, I'll just leave you with a taste of the lyrics which inspired this rather off beat post:

"Some things in life may change
and some things they stay the same
like time
there's always time
on my mind
so pass me by
i'll be fine
just give me time"

3 comments:

Darrell Glenn said...

I agree with you. I both seems like an eternity since you have left, and then again only yesterday. Noah got his Jimmy Hair and tablet today, he was thrilled. We took some pictures and will get them to you. Keep on Keeping on with the time. Love, Dad

L-Kat said...

beautiful.

i've been so consumed with wanting time to pass by as quickly as possible (to finish my internship)...i realized that i wasn't unhappy because of my internship. i was unhappy because i was letting the internship affect my attitude about everything. which is my fault, not the internship's.

i'm glad it's going to be over this week, though! i'm ready to come out of the dark ages :)

love/miss.

Ivy said...

helo baby lover child. i miss you very much. its been too long since our last aim session. i am so glad you are taking the time to really enjoy your experience. its hard - time is a funny, scary, exciting, and sometimes saddening thing - but it looks like to me you are making the most of what youve got. thanks for keeping this blog as a journal and for allowing all of us to live vicariously through our brave and confident friend (thats you, silly).


<3

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine