Sunday, March 23, 2008

El Fin de la Semana...



Ahh the weekend. Don't you miss the time in your life when it meant the break from school and stress and homework? Especially holiday weekends like this one...you get a four day break from reality filled with family, fun, relaxation, and good food. Yeah, that is pretty much the opposite of how my weekend went. Easter here is crazy...it's a really big travel time so Callander was invaded by tour buses and tons of people milling the streets which meant a super full, super busy shop. FYI, Scottish people don't joke around when it comes to bread at Easter time...especially hot cross buns. We had a minor emergency when we sold out of them Saturday before eleven AM...I thought there might be a minor pastry rebellion or something. Well my last four days were pretty much occupied by working, working, sleeping, working, eating, working, working, and, did I mention, working? Actually I'm really concerned I might be narcoleptic- after work, I'll be on my bed working on my computer or reading a book, and the next thing I know I wake up four hours later with no recollection of falling asleep. Guess my body isn't used to the early hours yet and it's definately making me pay for it. Take last night for instance, I'm fairly certain I fell asleep around 6PM (the time isn't precise since I just dozed off) and I actually slept through the night and woke up a little after five which was lucky since I had to be in the shop at six and I hadn't set an alarm. Anywho, enough about my screwy internal clock, hopefully I have more interesting things to say. Hopefully...




So during my ridiculously busy workfest this weekend, I did manage to have a few moments of clarity filled with minor epiphanies. Well ephiphanies might be too strong of a description, but some thoughts did cross my mind-


1. I have absolutely without a doubt the most fabulously awesome sisters ever. During the lunch rush on Saturday, a delivery man walked in with a gorgeous bouquet of flowers accompanied by a stuffed bear. Since I was the only free person, I walked up to sign for it only to be startled when he said they were for me (well, by me he said "chivn" but I figured that was close enough). I had just been thinking how much I was missing being home for Easter, and that gift remind me just how blessed and loved I am...all the girls at work were really impressed and jealous that I have such a kick-ass family....thanks for that.


2. I love all the little terms of endearment Scottish people use; if I had a nickel for everytime someone called me love, darlin, or doll, I'd be-well you know how the saying goes. I've noticed that I've been picking up on the Scottish lingo as well, so don't be surprised if I ask for a "wee" bit of help "love" when I get back.


3. People are fascinated by novelty. I have never had so much attention in my life. As far as Americans go around here, we are pretty rare; add into the equation that I'm Texan and I might as well be an alien, a very cute and well liked alien, but an alien nonetheless ;) I'm telling you, if you ever feel a little down on yourself or unliked, just move to a different country. I have never been asked for my number more in my life (don't worry, I don't even having a working phone so I'm safe).


5. Sunshine and snow are amazing. No, I don't mean just individually- I mean honest to goodness thick flakes of snow falling through rays of sunlight. Seriously, breathtaking. Also, I know I skipped #4-I'm just making sure you're paying attention-trying to keep you on your toes, you know.




So tomorrow I have a day off to recover from the craziness that was my weekend. I think I'll try to be productive, run some errands, clean my room, do my laundry, and, most importantly, catch up on some z's. I hope each and everyone of you had a blessed Easter weekend- know y'all are constantly in my mind and in my prayers....Love always, Shivonne.




4 comments:

Ivy said...

my darling shivonne! im so glad you got a little love from home over the Easter holiday. It was my first easter not spent at home so i was feeling kind of down as well. but i hope you know how very much you are loved!

o em gee. i absolutely LOVED getting to chat with you today. i think it made my week. i miss you so very very much.

i love you. get some REST. and know that we are thinking of you always.

Darrell Glenn said...

It does my heart good to see the relationship you girls have. That is truly an answer to our prayers. Even though you were not here physically you were totally here in our thoughts and conversations. We love you.

L-Kat said...

we got to have a chatroom today and it was incredible. i LOVED every second! i'm going to get on aim more often to check for you. i love talking to you in real time! love you so much and am so glad you're having beautiful moments all the time. i miss you!

Kim said...

I am so happy for you! I hope you see how much people care for you and how special you are!
Speaking of a not working phone...we tried to call you Easter Sunday both on your cell and at work to no avail. We love you so much.
Love,
Mom

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine