Sunday, March 9, 2008

My Scottish History....



So in case you didn't know, I actually have a wee bit of Scottish blood in my family-mainly on my daddy's side. Everytime I try to tell people here I'm part Scottish they just laugh and think it's a joke- I guess the old Texan accent is a bit much to swallow when claiming Scottish Heritage. Oh well. Anyways, here's the facts:




-Glen, or Glennie, is a Scottish Surname and classified as a sept (a division of a family or clan)under Clan Mackintosh which originated in Inverness, Scotland


-Gaelic Name: Mac-an-Toiseach; Origin: Gaelic 'Toiseach' - leader, chief or captain


-Our history dates back to the 12th Century


-Mottos: Touch not the Cat bot a Glove ("Touch not the cat without a glove"-hmmm.) & Loch Moigh is our Rallying Cry


-The name Glen(n) is Scottish/Gaelic meaning valley


-The name Shivonne (Siobhan) is a Irish/Gaelic variant of Joan/John meaning God is gracious (I'm named after St. Joan of Arc)




Well that's all I've found out so far, but it's pretty interesting....I'm definately going to splurge on a cashmere scarf with the Mackintosh tartan design before I go (I think I'll get the hunting version of our tartan though instead of the traditional. I mean, it's green. Nuff said.)

5 comments:

Darrell Glenn said...

Thank you so much for finding out that info. It always amazes me how comforting it is to discover one's roots. Who said, "You have to know where you've come from to know where you are going." I'm praying that the English will be a little easier on you than they were on Joan. I tell you you Shivonne, at times that you life at the MOHR has nothing on "The Office".

Shivonne said...

thanks daddy! that's like a seriously huge compliment for an office fanatic like me...

Ivy said...

shiv-tastic. how cool! youve inspired me to try to figur eout where the heck ikpeme comes from!

i love reading your blogs. thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy adventures to write them!

love you! & i hope youre feeling better!

Kim said...

Leader? Of course! That's you! Touch not the cat w/o a glove? Your mom! I'm w/Ivy, I love reading your blog! I love you and miss you very much.
Love,
Mom

Shivonne said...

thanks mom!it's so nice to hear from you through your comments...you make me laugh! i love you!

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine