Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Perspective

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same." -Carlos Castaneda

Sometimes in my day to day life I naturally run into moments that aggravate, upset, frustrate, or just plain depress me. I get it. It's only natural. But now I'm trying this new thing when those moments hit...stop, take a step back, and put things into perspective. It's a seriously difficult but very rewarding exercise, and I think it just might be making me a better (or at least more pleasant) person. It's really crazy how much your outlook can change by simply seeing things in a different light. Like just take today for example-



  • Being frustrated: I went to bed too late for my own good last night and when the alarm went off this morning I really felt like throwing it across the room. Positive spin: I have good friends and fun times to keep me occupied until the wee hours of the morning and a steady job to wake up to.

  • A little bit depressed: After the best instant messenger conversation of my life yesterday, I was reminded how much I miss my favorite people in the world-even just the sound of their voices. Then this morning I found a letter waiting for me at work (thanks Heather!) and read numerous wall posts/blog comments from said wonderful people. I am one lucky girl to have so many amazing people in my life who care for me to that extent, and no amount of physical distance will ever change that.
  • Another depressing thought: I will never again have a spring break in my life. I've been seeing all these pictures on facebook about the fun fabulous times everyone has had on their week long hiatus from the real world. But just as I'm getting really depressed, a thought occurs to me- If I had a spring break, that would mean I would still be in school. Still be taking classes. Still have piles of reading that I never seem to get to until the night before the test. Still be pretending to study. Still be stressing over my procrastinating ways. Nope. I think I'm good, sans Spring Break and all.

  • Aggravated: Right after diligently and meticulously cleaning the glass of the cake and pie display at work before closing, three little girls and their mom came in smudging fingerprints all over it to the point where I would have to repeat the job. Sigh. But then one of the little girls caught my eye, smiled, and my heart melted. What's a few fingerprints compared to a wide eyed kid let loose in a cake shop?

  • Mentally exhausted: After a long day of serving numerous people in need of a sugar fix while maintaining a sugary demeanor myself, I find it hard to keep up the smiles and bubbly attitude for those stragglers who come in while I'm trying to close. However I always try to be friendly no matter how tired/annoyed/ready to go home I am. Today in such a situation, I was reminded of how much customers really appreciate this...the last lady in the shop said I was the friendliest person she had been waited on by in a long time. Little compliments like that make it all worth it.

Okay. Enough of my 'look at the world through rose colored glasses' sappy sermon. It was just something I was thinking about today, so I thought I'd share it with y'all. I know I'm by no means perfect, but when I manage to flip my bad attitude around, I always feel like I've gained a small victory...and I think that makes life sweeter, even if just by a bit :)

6 comments:

Ivy said...

gaw you are such an awesome person! i love you and your outlook on life. i miss having you to call when i am frustrated, in tears, or completely overwhelmed with life. you were always the one to make me stop and breath. okay and of course now im crying as i write this.

i miss you.

Heather said...

YAH! I am so glad it made it there! I love that you are finding the positive in everything! Hope you have a great day today!

Whitney said...

my shivontee, i agree with ivy. your outlook on life is dearly missed over here in the states. many times ive just thought how much i have wanted you here to help me through those little rough patches. i was truly blessed to have you as a roommate. i wish you were still here. im so proud of you and all the things youre doing and how much youre growing. i cant wait for you to get back so we can talk face to face. i miss you more than you know and everything about you! and ummm...i think i need a little bit of an update on this boy toy situation. ive been hearing some stuff from the other girls!! boo you whore! love you!

Anonymous said...

You know, I really needed to read that quote. Right now with senior year and acceptances and rejections and decision make and doing school work (or avoiding doing school work) I've just gotten so frustrated with everything. I'm going to take a leaf out of your book dear. I'm glad your experience is going so well! I love you!
your cousin,
Rachel

Darrell Glenn said...

I need to practice you stepping back and getting a new perpective technique. Thanks for sharing that with us. I do marvel at what you are doing, and thank God for you. With all my love and prayers.

Pam (Sarah) said...

wow, I have been computer challenged for a few weeks at home and can hardly believe what I've been missing! I love your thoughts and your pictures. I am so proud of your decisions and efforts. Way to go with taking a chance on life! I will wait to hear more about Chris. He is very tall, dark and handsome - but I can't help but say I don't want anybody breaking this girl's heart. I love you, Shivonne

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine