Saturday, March 15, 2008

Long Day...

Hey y'all! Just a quick update this time on my day...so here we go!

This morning I had to get up bright and early for my 6 o'clock morning shift in the bakery shop. Today was a big fishing day, so we were SUPER busy-we couldn't even get all of the products out until nearly 10-and we started at six. Also, we ran out of nearly everything and that really doesn't happen that much. Needless to say, I ran around for 11 hours serving fisher(wo/)men, kids out of school, locals, tourists, and everyone in between. My feet are killing me by the way. But it wasn't all stressful-my crazy work was intermittently interrupted by a couple of really nice, make a girl smile, feel good moments:

1. Two different ladies I helped said I had an infectious/wonderful personality. Seriously quite a morale booster when you've been running around like a chicken with it's head cut off all day (hmmm..that may be the first time I've used that simile. Interesting.)

2. Veronika laughed everytime I said "sorry" in this weird voice. When I asked why she thought it was so funny, she just said- "you always make me laugh." It's nice to have nice people say nice things about you.

3. Veronika again. She randomly broke into my diligent cleaning of the warming oven (like how I slid that self-kudos on my work ethic in there?) with this:
Veronika: "I wish you would just fall in love with someone in Callander so you'd have to stay."
Me: (laughing) "Yeah, but I'd have to marry someone to be able to stay, and that's sure as
hell not going to happen in 5 months."
Veronika: (seriously) "Hey you never know-just think about it, ok?"
4. Veronika. Yes. Again. She left a travel journal with a really sweet note for me inscripted in it under my door. I found it last night and it made me smile-I've already filled like 5 pages of that thing. Love it.

So I just realized how many of my happy moments are contributed to Veronika- she really is very sweet and fun to be around. Plus, she's like my little mom. She gave me this multi-vitamin jam stuff to take, helped me order some Wellies (that's rain boots to you yanks), and took me shopping yesterday. I should definately do something nice for her...hmmm. I'll have to think about that....any ideas?

Ok, well I guess that is about all for now. I'm about to grab a bite and then later we're going out for a farewell party for Noami (my current roomie) who's last day is Tuesday. But no worries-I get to sleep in until 8 tomorrow!

4 comments:

grandad said...

Shivonne - SOunds like an exciting day and you are one that can handle it. Look forward to your updates and be interesting to hear how Holy Week festivities go over there. Love Ya! Grandpa and Grandma Glenn

Darrell Glenn said...

Hey it looks like Dad got through all of the security steps to post his blog. Way to go Dad. Our news is that Daniel got accepted into A&M, except it is a probationary acceptance and he has to begin the first summer session. Pray he makes the right decision. Also mom is giving the house a new look, especially the den (formally called the sunroom) She needs your sense of style because I am not the best in that area. We love you.

Darrell Glenn said...

Hey I was just looking at your pictures and noticed that we are sharing your weather today. It is cold, cloudy and windy, and we don't have the quite the same scenary to make it more bearable. Love ya.

Little Black Dress said...

Hi Shivonne!

I stumbled upon your blog through random facebook wandering, when I saw your profile and wondered how your adventure was going. After an hour at the law library spent reading your blog instead of studying, can I just tell you that I am SO PROUD OF YOU and also incredibly inspired.

How brave an endeavor, and how rewarding it must be already. You are doing something that I've always fantasized about but never have had the guts to do. YOU GO GIRL! I will keep up with you through reading, I can't wait to hear about all of your other adventures! I also had no idea what a great writer you are, you do such a great job conveying the story of your travels.

Thinking of you, and thank you again for telling the inspiring story of your adventures.

All my LL,
Tina

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine