Friday, March 7, 2008

The Story Continues...




Ok kids I'm back to finish up my super long update story, so here we go:

Where was I? Oh yeah. So Melanie informed me on a Thursday night that she would be taking me with all my luggage the next morning into Callander to live and work at Mhor Bread (by the way, this was smack dab in the middle of a stressful hotel shift so I wasn't in the most agreeable spirits to start with). Now when it comes to jobs and bosses I'm not the type to argue or say no- I'm just pretty much a push over; as soon as she left me with the news, I took a quick trip to the loo to splash my face and get over the shock, but I guess I wasn't too successful at hiding my feelings because as soon as Sven saw me he knew something was wrong. I told him what had happened, said I was just going to make the best of it, and continued working. Well I guess he informed Colleen of Melanie's plans as soon as she got back to the hotel (which Melanie had been careful not to inform Colleen on before- I guess she was trying to sneak me away before any of the staff found out)and the next thing I know Colleen is pulling me into the kitchen asking if I was moving out. I confirmed this and all Colleen said was 'hell no you aren't' and she stormed out. Well I guess following this little conversation, Melanie and Colleen had a big row over moving me from the hotel as soon as I settled in and posting me at a job that I was hired for. In the end, Melanie agreed to let me stay living at the hotel for the moment and just go down to work at the bakery. That was the end of round one.

Round two: Friday I went down to Mhor Bread, met the manager (Veronica), and learned my way around. Veronica was super nice and taught me all about the shop. The work is easy and laid back which is what I'm used to so it came pretty naturally. At the end of the day when Melanie drove me back to the hotel she went on in her manipulating way on how I answered her prayers and was just perfect and vivacious and wonderful to work there and blah blah blah. I hate being manipulated. So I tried to stand up to her a bit (with the help of Colleen encouraging me to tell Melanie what I really felt), and I let her know that I preferred working at the hotel, I loved the staff, farm, and animals, thought I was getting quite better at my job there, and enjoyed working in a fine dining atmosphere so I could learn more. She pretty much ignored all this and was silent for the rest of the ride. The same charade repeated on Saturday, and by Sunday (when I was filling in for a girl in housekeeping at the hotel) Melanie pulled me aside to tell me to grab my stuff and go to Callander. I managed to convince her to let me stay one more night at the Hotel (because Toby's 30th birthday party was that night which I had been planning with Eilidh) and resigned myself to go to Callander in the morning. After all this trouble, drama, and uncertainty, I figured God was pushing me towards this change for a reason and I should just trust in him. We had a wonderful time at Toby Birthday/my going away party, and I was just thankful to have spent a few days with some awesome people.

So now it has been four days since I've moved and things are starting to settle in. The work at the bakery is easy and pleasant and the locals get a real kick out of my accent (when they can understand what I'm saying anyways). Veronica loves me so it's easy to work with her, Tony has moved into town to cook at Mhor Fish instead of the hotel, and Lewis is cooking at Mhor Bread for a fortnight while they look for a new chef there so I'm not too alone. Other than that, everyone who lives in the house is Hungarian and speaks very little English, but I'm told a Kiwi girl is on her way so that should be nice. Today is my first day off since I've been here (yay!) and I've made my way down to Edinburgh to pick up mail (thanks Ivy/Mom&Dad!) and just enjoy a little free time. Anyways, now I have a new address (again) so here it is:

c/o Shivonne Glenn
Mhor Bread
8 Main StreetCallander
Perthshire FK17 8BB
United Kingdom

Thank you all for your sweet comments-it's so great to hear encouraging words when I'm going through a bit of a rough spot. Love y'all!
p.s. I FINALLY got my laptop's wifi to work so I've been posting pictures to my web albums like crazy and I'm going to figure out how skype works next...hooray!

3 comments:

Darrell Glenn said...

Thanks for your phone call. It was so good to hear your voice. The bakery has a peaceful feeling to me. Melanie doesn't know what she is missing, but I can see God working in this situation. I really believe you in the right spot. Way to keep the faith through tribulation. I'll keep praying. I love you.

L-Kat said...

aw shivonne, what an adventure. this trip is like a movie. do you ever feel like you're in a movie?!? you're the heroine! (hopefully that's spelt right).

keep hanging in there and holding on to that wonderful, optimistic attitude that you always have (it draws people to you like moths to a flame). i love you so much.

grandad said...

Hi Shivonne - Cewrtainly enjoy your e-mail's as they are very informative. Makes us think we are taking the trip with you. Hang in there as you always have and you will not only come out on top but will learn another lesson in what life always has to offer. Love Ya! Grandma & Grandpa Glenn

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine