Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Small Town Living...


Today I had another glorious day off. Okay, I know what you're thinking-'you just had a day off Friday!' and true you are. However (as I so graciously explained to my jealous colleagues) Friday was my first day off in the 12 days I had been with Monachyle Mhor/Mhor Bread, so that was really just a catchup one. Anyways, I digress.


I had planned to just have a lazy morning and sleep in until at least 10. That didn't happen. I'm pretty sure my body has reset my internal clock to wake up no later than 8 every morning. I guess having an early morning job will do that to you. Gone are the days of sleeping in until lunch and just wearing pajamas like ragamuffins to eat at Jason's Deli. Sigh.


So bright and early, a little after eight, I was ready to take on the big city of Callander. Actually that is quite an oxymoron. I've never lived in such a small town in my life. I mean, when you tell people you're from Amarillo, Texas they think it's small. No. Here, everybody knows everybody. It's one of those kinds of places. Even if you don't know what you're doing, someone else does. Take for example this morning- I walked into the local chemist (aka pharmacy) to pick up a few things; I accidentally bumped into a woman in the narrow aisles and automatically apologized. The woman grinned and said, "oh- you're that girl from Texas!" I kid you not. I have never seen this lady in my life, I was at the chemist across town (not that that's far here-I walked there in like five minutes), I've been here one week and the local people already know who I am. Crazy. You always hear about the small town atmosphere, but it's odd to actually live it. I'm actually kind of excited about meeting everyone and learning names so I can get a piece of the local town gossip (I'm only kidding-sort of). Anyways, it could be nice; sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name...(yes, I just referenced Cheers).


So this morning I just explored my new home, took tons of gorgeous pictures (check out the link to the right to see all of my albums from my travels so far- the pic on the left is pretty much what my backyard looks like. You're jealous-right?), went on a two hour walk, and spent too much of my first paycheck which I received yesterday. I don't know what it is about money in your pocket, but it just screams to be spent. I know I'm horrible, but I've had literally two pounds to my name since I took this job and I might have gone a bit overboard. Next time I'll do better (let's hope).


Well I guess there's just a couple of last minute things I want to mention at the moment- I got bullied into having dinner with creepy African guy again last night. He asked me to go eat with him, kept pushing and pushing, wanted to go somewhere in Sterling (which is a 45 min bus ride away- we're talking spending three hours with this chap- ugggh) but I managed to only get roped into dinner at an Italian place down the road. It wasn't too bad (the food that is) but all he did was keep talking on and on about himself. I barely said anything. Also, he never listens- not only to the incessant streams of no thank yous when he asks me out but also to anything I say in general. I don't know why he even wants me there- he could talk to himself just as well. Another annoying feature- he orders for me. I absolutely hate this- I'm a big girl and fully capable of informing the waiter what I want to eat. And, he tries to order me things I don't even mention or want. Seriously annoying.


However, there is light at the end of this seemingly never ending tunnel of dodgy sudo dates with a guy who's company I don't even slightly enjoy- after returning from dinner last night, I said good night and started to go into my room when some guy I had never seen bounced down the stairs (new people just keep turning up here-you never know who you might randomly meet). I said hello, and we got to talking. He had just moved in that day into Tony's room (the chef who also moved into town from the hotel with me), he's originally from Malaysia, but had lived in London since he was eight so he has this really funny cockney accent. After a couple of minutes, Tony joined us on the stairwell and we talked for quite a bit. Eventually, Veronika came in and asked me about what was going on with Albert (I had told her about him bothering me the day before) so we all had a nice 'this is how you tell him to back off' conversation. The guys' opinion was that a boyfriend in another country was not a strong enough deterrant- I was going to have to be frank. Veronika suggested I just say, 'look. I don't enjoy your company. F-off.' Now that's a bit strong for me (y'all know how I hate confrontation) but they did encourage me enough so the next time he asks me out I'll just say I don't think it's a good idea. Hopefully this will work as long as I avoid being a push over and stick to my guns. But Veronika was really good about putting it into perspective- I'm a young female traveling by myself and I have to stick up for myself. I'm just going to repeat this over and over in my head until I summon the courage to tell this guy to back the hell off. Whew.


Well I guess that's my ridiculously long update for now...I think I'm going to have a pint at the pub tonight with the guys to round out my lovely day off, and then it's back to work in the morning!




7 comments:

Whitney said...

haha...this albert guy IS a creep!you tell him that I said to back the f-off!!! why does he not get it? what a homo! and who does that?! if someone didnt listen to me AND THEN ordered for me! hell no! what did you say when he did that? oh my gosh. i cant even believe that happened! i do not like him, not one bit! and you can tell him i said so!

this little town sounds sooo cute. and all of your pictures are of course, AMAZING! i am jealous, you know that. but im glad you have some normal people to talk to and hang out with besides the old lady at the chemist and fag-boy albert.

i miss you dearly and love hearing of your success and adventures! loooove you!

Shivonne said...

ahh thanks for the support whitney! i love hearing from you...i do wish you were here to help me with the creepos-you should definately come visit me here...i'll be a regular local in no time and i can show you around!
also, you should blog again. i know, i know it sucks, but it's the only way i feel like i'm part of your new life :) well i love you and miss you something awful!

Darrell Glenn said...

I agree with Veronika and you should just be blunt. It's a beautiful place where you are living, and don't think that your blogging is long and boring-It is the highlight of my day to hear what is going on. Keep the Faith.

Ivy said...

yo yo yo shiv-eeeee! (im extremely ehausted so this comment might not make any sense)

ill list my comments!
1. my body wakes up by itself by 8 at the latest too. suckyyy. uh.
2. ragamuffins! hahaha
3. what is w/the albert dude? seriously. when i read that he ordered for you, my jaw just about hit the ground. he better back off - you have a gaggle of best friends back in the states that will chase his bum down and show him whats up if he doesnt get the picture soon.
4. i miss you tons.
5. it looks like you are liing in the secret garden! what beautiful memories you are making :)
6. no joke - today i picked up the phone and started to call you. and then remembered i couldnt. i just really had this strong urge to hear you. :(
7. its okay that we cant talk on the phone bc you are AWESOME @ blogging!!! keep it going!


i love you bella. have fun! be strong! know we are all missing you.

L-Kat said...

omg that is hilarious. freaky albert. i love it. seriously, write a book.

my dad was playing the theme song to cheers on the piano 2 hours before i read this. coincidence? i think not.

you are so inspiring.

stick up for yourself! i have trouble with that, too. we got to start being more assertive. i'll promise to try my hardest if you will!

i love you and miss you with all my heart. we were talking about a huge reunion for when you come back (similar to the 3 blissful days we spent in lubbock). we're gonna do it up right, girl!

love.

Heather said...

Can I just tell you I obsessively check your blog. It makes my day! I really am not sure there is anything to add about that Albert punk...looks like theses ladies covered it all. Guys just don't get it until you slap them in the face. Not literally, but if you did that would be fun to hear about too! Anywho, your little town looks BEAUtiful! Learn how to bake something delicious and then tell us about it!!!

LOVE!

Shivonne said...

oh my ladies (and my daddy!) thank for all the moral support! so far i've been taking the old avoid tactic, but as soon as I'm pressed, i will definately stand up for myself. i love you guys like crazy!

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine