Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Another "beautiful, magnificent, clear, freaking freezing, unbearably cold, but at least I'm not a complainer" morning

6:45am- Wake up, roll over, check the time. Score! 45 more minutes of blissfull sleeeeeppp...zzz

7:30am- Alarm goes off. Wonder again why I chose that particular melody and make mental note- soon to be forgotten- of changing it. Don't even hit the snooze, let the alarm continue for entire minute, and drift off back to sleep...

7:58am- Crap. "Accidentally" slept in, but still congratulate self on making it up before 8...time to take on the day

8:30am- Successfully showered, dressed, and organized my things for the day in half an hour-record time if I do say so myself, though my appearance may be questionable. Oh well..time for breakfast!

9:00am- Ate my wonderfully free meal at the hostel (toast with peanut butter and exceptionally bad instant coffee with milk). Accidentally made awkward eye contact with guy across the table from me so I had to scarf down the rest of my food and get out of there. Grab my stuff, step out the door. Freezing, absolutely shockingly cold winds greet me. Fortitude I repeat to myself. Fortitude.

9:15am- Overpowered my urge to run back upstairs into bed and made it to the bank so I could open an account. Confidently strut up to the door, grab the handle, and pull firmly to no avail. Quickly check the sign and realize bank opens late on Wednesdays. Only Wednesdays. Today. Of course. Contemplate my choices for a few restless minutes:
1. Stand in the freezing cold for half an hour until kind bank lady finally unlocks the door.
2. Find a cafe and grab a real cup of coffee to overcome the shortcomings of the previous excuse for coffee I had this morning.
3. Duck into a close and read my current literary obsession that I thankfully remembered to throw in my bag.
I went with option three since I'm too big of a wuss for the first and and too poor to spare two blessed pounds on some joe.

9:45am- Braved the cold thanks to the distraction of my book and scurry into the heavenly warmth of the bank, look blankly around, and stand stupidly for two minutes until someone realizes I have no idea what I'm doing and comes to assist me. Bank lady gives a subtle surprising start (as most brits do) as my question comes in the form of a southern twang not too common around these parts. Thankfully she understands me (sometimes they don't) and I am pointed in the right direction.

10:15am- Descend from the bank gaily thinking that I, Shivonne Nicole Glenn, am an international banker at The Royal Bank of Scotland. Yay me!

Now I'm sitting in the BUNAC office for gloriously free internet access that doesn't pressure me every five minutes with notices of how much time I have left before paying again. Funny how things you've taken for granted most of your life slap you in the face. Free internet, alas a difficult find. I'm about to apply at H&M and then I'm off to take in some museums and art galleries....hopefully I'll return as a fountain of Scottish knowledge-or at least I'll have tons more pictures of things I'll be too embarrassed to admit I'm not sure what of.

6 comments:

April said...

hahaha I LOVE reading your posts! i laugh out loud, only because i KNOW i would be absolutely lost! and i love to hear that you're finding your way and things are going smoothly :) keep posting and letting us know how things are, i vote your life the most interesting right now :)

Whitney said...

as we all say all the time, i love reading your blog. im so happy for you. you are going to be a changed woman when you come back! im so excited for all of the things going on in your life right now. i hope the job works out at H&M (bring me back something pretty!! haha)! but they would be retarded not to hire my little fashionista. i miss you so much. i cant wait to actually hear your voice. your life is TOO interesting right now. im too jealous!!! I LOVE YOU!! you keep dominating scotland. muah!

L-Kat said...

i love your posts too! they're great :) you are TOO funny. amazing. brave. i could go on.

i promise to try to update my blog as much as possible so you have something to read. i can't promise it'll be interesting, though.

good luck at h&m! retail is actually not bad. i kind of LOVE it. it can be tiring, but you get to interact with people and be surrounded by cuteness.

ok i love you.

Shivonne said...

oh how i love my ladies...y'all are too sweet to me! i miss you guys so much- i'm having a great time but i keep wishing y'all were here....
hugs and bunches of kisses...muah!

Ivy said...

shivvy,
your life should be written about in a book.

want me to do it?

i miss you. and h&m BETTER hire you!

also: if i were to want to buy a ticket to come visit you, for waht city would i make my destination?

Ivy said...

also: i just noticed that you actually fille dout your whole profile on this thing.

haha i love you so much!

also - why the hell does this thing make us type in random letters every time we post a comment. its so frikken annoying. why does it do that!?

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine