Saturday, February 9, 2008

I'm Off to Scotland!

So this morning I check out of my hostel, lug my excessively heavy luggage to the tube and then railway station, figure out how to board the train (don't worry...I DID remember to get the ticket), and set off for a new set of adventures in Edinburgh. I'm actually pretty excited about the train ride- it's supposed to be a gorgeous ride. However, it is actually quite a bit colder there than in London so I'm not really looking forward to that. I'm staying there five nights in which I most definately, without a doubt, even if I have to torture myself by holing up in front of a computer, MUST get my job. I know there are plenty of opportunities, but it has been hard to be focused on them when one is exploring a foreign country. sigh. I definately need to increase my self-discipline and I guess this is the perfect opportunity.

Just a couple of other quirky observations:
1. I've come to the conclusion that I must look rather British. About ten people have stopped me on the street asking for directions and advice. Don't worry, as soon as I open my mouth they figure it out pretty fast...

2. One more note about my accent- so I'm a little ashamed and embarrassed to admit, but I have definately been exaggerating my 'twangy' Texan accent a bit. I know, I know, how does one become more hickish (is that even a word?) by moving to a European country? But I can't help it. I'm telling you if I just put on a little southern, texas girl, I'm lost can you please help me charm these reserved and rather serious brits laugh and are instantly more friendly and ready to help. Anyway, this is just a warning for if I come back with a heavier Texan accent than I left with. I know. I'm strange. That's why you love me.

So the next post on this ever growing adventure diary will be written in Scotland. I've heard a lot about haggis which I guess is some local cuisine but I haven't figured out what it is yet...any ideas?

4 comments:

Darrell Glenn said...

It sounds so great. I am totally in agreement with you on your decision to travel. You know the Glenn's immigrated from Scotland, so you are returning to your roots. I look forward to logging on you blog and seeing what is going on. My kids at school are keeping up with your travels with me.

Maura said...

haggis - a traditional scottish dish usually consisting of sheep's liver or heart mixed with garlic and other spices boiled in the sheep's stomach for 3 hours. You're still required to eat it

Loving your blog and the idea of living vicariously through you. glad you finally got the phone to work!

Whitney said...

oh my gosh...you probably won't believe me but, i totally knew what haggis was (without looking at maura's post.)!!! i think i had to do some report on scotland in high school that i vaguely remember and i knew that it had something to do with sheep stomach. anywho...good luck with that one. but i am so excited for you. i am so jealous, as always. i wish i could be there. i hope you love scotland and i know you'll get an amazing job! just keep on that searching. my mom lived in scotland for a while and she ADORED it! so i miss you and love you!

Shivonne said...

thanks y'all! yeah dad...there's actually a place where you can look up your history if you have a scottish surname, but i don't think glenn is one. do you know what it might be?
also, haggis. i haven't tried it yet, but i'm a little relieved they usually don't use the heart or liver as much now. i just won't think about what i'm eating...

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine