Sunday, February 3, 2008

Like a kid in a candy shop...


Ladies and gentlemen I am pleased to inform you that following a flight cancellation, an eight hour layover in Houston (p.s. if anybody has ANY questions about that place, I've got you covered), and a brief stop in Detroit I HAVE ARRIVED!!! I got here at 11 in the morning making my way through immigration (with one surly attendant drilling me for about thirty minutes), customs, luggage claim, and finally hauled 150lbs of luggage (I wish I was exaggerating) through to separate tube lines, connections and all, without getting lost. Go me! That was definately the hardest part of my trip, but once I checked into my hostel and dropped the load I felt light, free, and ready to take on the city...so I did.

For the past five hours, I've been wandering around London and stumbling upon the most awestrucking images and experiences. I don't know what it is about Europe, but everything is so poetic. There are subtleties, nuances, and intricancies in each piece of architecture. It's like I'm a little kid again, and London is my candy shop...I just eat it up never getting enough. I saw Westminister Abby, the Houses of Parliament, and Big Ben. I walked the Westminister bridge across the Thames and went to Trafalgar Square. I wandered into London China Town with more orange and red lights and lanterns than you can imagine. I went down Piccadilly street and windowshopped my way through Donna Karan, Burberry, and Vivienne Westwood ending up at London's equivalent of Times' Square- Piccadilly Circus. I'm enjoying walking around so much that the cold and blustering winds don't really bother me. Yeah right. That's a lie. It's freaking freezing here and this Texas girl is a wussy. But it's definately worth it...

On a final random note to sum up my rambling blog, I've been watching tons of British films...in just the past few days I've seen Sense and Sensibility, Atonement, Alfie (the old Michael Caine version), My Fair Lady, and a little bit of Harry Potter. Anyway, my point is y'all should pick up a British film the next time you're in a rental store, watch it, picture me there, and then get jealous and come visit me. Soon. I miss you all so much and the only downfall to this wonderful experience is having no one to share it with.

I hope everyone is well and is enjoying Super Bowel Sunday...pretty sure I'm not going to see that here so someone send me the score! Love you peeps!

9 comments:

L-Kat said...

oh my gosh, shivonne, you are livin the dream! i am so excited for you :) please please please update all the time! have you met people you're living with? i'm so glad to hear you're out exploring. and don't worry, we're virtually sharing this experience with you ;) aka - living vicariously through you.

love you so much! miss you bunches

Whitney said...

yo dang. i cant believe youre really there. i miss you already!!! i am jealous...but not that youre freezing your ass off! i am so excited for you! you will have such an amazing time and apparently already have! i love you!

p.s. the super bowl score was 17-14 Giants!! yay...even though tom brady is HOT ( i dont care what you say), i was glad to see the patriots lose. so weird that you're not in the U.S.!!

Shivonne said...

giants won?!?! yes!!!! i always love an underdog story...so i sorta met the people i'm living with for this first week. it was weird. i got there and nobody was there so i just put up my stuff and left. when i got back at night there was this one nice but kinda odd guy from the netherlands named olaf who sleeps in the bunk beneath me, two stoner australian guys who frankly aren't very friendly, a little asian guy that just stays in his bed with the curtains closed and barely talks, and a sweet girl named lauren from australia, but i just saw her for a moment. the next place i'm staying i'll be in an all female room and i think i'll do better living with girls...

jessica said...

Just like everyone else, I CANNOT believe you are really there! I am SO proud of you and hope it is everything you have hoped and dreamed up! I wish I could come visit! Hopefully it will be able to happen before you head back to the states!

Take care of yourself and write down your experiences as much as you can. Remember as much as you can. You are doing things that most can only dream of!

Love you dearly and miss you!
xoxoxoxo

samantha said...

Shivvy--I am so, so proud of you! You are going to do great out there. I love that you have this blog so I can see London through your eyes. You are going to go so far.

Wanted to let you know that Adrienne and Tommy are planning on going to London some time this month--you should definitely email her and see a friendly face! I'm sure she'd love to see one, too.

I love you so and hope you get everything you ever wanted. You inspire me!

kisses from Texas (Austin misses you, and so do I!)

Johnna said...

SHIVONNE!!! Becca informed that you made it and I had to read your blog. It's going to be my new daily guilty pleasure. I'm so excited for you and will be living the London dream through you. Congratulations on your big move!! I am so proud of you. PLEASE keep in touch as best possible. Good luck with your new adventure!!!!

Lots of love,
Johnna =)

Ivy said...

Holy Mother. I hope you know how very prd of you i am! i miss you so much and i am SO excited to see that you have kept your promise to blog! You are going to experience so many amazing things and I am so happy for you! I cant wait to read about your next adventure! How did the meeting go today?? Did you find a job aleady?! I bet you have.
i love you to pieces.

xoxo

Pam (Sarah) said...

Hey Shivonne,

I am so excited to be able to share in your adventures. I think you are making a good decision about the live-in job situation. You are so brave to let yourself experience the world! I never thought about the possibility of you having to share a room with guys in the hostel - weird.
You will be in my thoughts and prayers daily and I'll be eager to hear what's next. I love you

Pam (Sarah)

Shivonne said...

Thanks Pam! It is so good to hear from you. I love getting posts on my blogs...
The rooming with guys things actually worked out better than I thought; two of them were very sweet to me, took me out, and looked after me- so I guess it does have some advantages. I can't wait to hear from you again!

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine