Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Beautiful Day for a little Exploration

This morning I sat up wide awake at 4:20- weird I know, but a good start to a very productive day. I had the hostel room all to myself last night (quite a luxury actually) so I got up, went through papers, organized my luggage, made a to-do list, painted my nails, showered, got ready, and watched an episode of The Office all before breakfast. I was out of the hostel by 8 ready to explore...and I guess God got me up for a good reason because today was gorgeous. It was my first time to see Edinburgh fog free and it was quite an experience, especially so early in the morning before the swarms of tourists come out. Just to give you an idea of the beautiful buildings and landscape-I took 100 pictures today alone. Crazy, but I love every one.

So after spending a couple of hours walking around, I continued on my productive way; I finally made my much put-off visit to the BUNAC office and figured out how to open a bank account which is a pretty big deal here-you practically have to give them a DNA sample. Next I topped up my phone so I can officially make calls- not that I made any because I'm skint (broke) and want to make my minutes last as long as possible. Next off to lunch...I've been eating ready prepared sandwiches from the grocer that just cost £1-a great find if I do say so myself, and they actually taste good. I took my economical meal for a picnic lunch to a parkbench overlooking all of Edinburgh; I felt like I was in a postcard. I spent the rest of the afternoon wandering, discovering, and doing a little reading in between (I'm reading a Fitzgerald novel that's really good-The Beautiful and Damned-you should check it out). Some things I thought about today:

1. I really can't get over the whole concept of Edinburgh...I'll be walking down an enclosed street with sky high buildings on either side, pedestrians running around, cars and buses zooming down the cobbled pavement, and then a street will open and I'll catch a view of a castle, rolling green hills, or a peaceful cemetary. It's really something to find a serene picture amongst the chaos...
2. Why do churches charge admission fees? It seems like a bit of a juxtaposition to me...museums are free but Churches aren't. Huh.
3. If I could choose any accent in the world to have, it would be Irish or Australian. Random thought, but I've been hearing people from all over the world and just something I thought about...
4. I'm biting the bullet and going into H&M to apply for a job. My live-in job prospects don't seem to be available until March so I figure I'd stay in the hostel and enjoy an employee discount at a great store....I went in today just to look around. You'd be jealous. I really wish we had them in Texas.
5. Life is better set to music. I've been listening to my ipod whilst trekking(sp?) along and it really makes you feel like you're in a movie.

So I think that's all I have for now...oh yeah. One more thing- miss y'all like crazy! Besos!

2 comments:

L-Kat said...

you are so inspiring.
i love reading your blog.
i'm so glad that the spanish girls hung out with you...but girl you know we're WAY more fun ;) haha

i miss you so very much and can't wait to see pictures! i'm so jealous that you're going to H&M...i've always wanted to go! love you.

MeiLee said...

Hey my British based friend!
How are things? Obviously good.
Its around 4am here so I am headed to bed, but just wanted to tell you that I FINALLY signed up and have a blog. What can I say... I'm a follower. I'll get on sometime soon and leave you a nice LONG comment and read more into your life. I feel like you're a celebrity that I'm reading gossip about. haha.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine