Monday, February 18, 2008

My life in the deep freezer...

So you know when you work in a restaurant and they have those huge freezers that you walk into and it's absolutely frigid cold and you get kinda nervous with these wild fantasies about getting absolutely locked inside and you'll freeze your tushy off and the only thing you look forward to is the ice cream you can eat while you wait to die? Well that's how it kinda feels all the time here in Edinburgh. And no, I'm not exaggerating. Right now I am inside a heated office and my hands actually feel like they might fall off as I type. Brrr..

Last night I bundled up in leggings, sweatpants, two pairs of long socks, a tshirt, hoodie, and gloves just to crawl under my blanket and sleep. Still freezing and unable to snooze, I stared jealously at the useless blankets on other beds that have signs posted next to them saying you'll get charged if you use them-some crap about sanitation rules. blah blah blah. Anyways, for about an hour I just lay there weighing the pros and cons of stealing the five blankets so i can finally sleep. I finally drifted off before I decided only to be awakened at 3am by about a thousand people on the street (at least that's what it sounded like) yelling, singing, jumping around, and lots of other nonsense. Great. I actually managed to fall asleep in my refrigerated state and these losers wake me up!

This morning I faced another conundrum upon awakening- the shower in my room is broken and only shoots out ice cold water. Doesn't make sense really since the sink has hot water but whatever. My options are to face the cold artic downpour that is my shower or to pack up all my stuff and hike up to the fourth floor and use the community showers. Feeling brave and ambitious I say what the hell and choose to shower in my room. I figure I can be like that Polar Bear Club thingy where those crazy people swim in a freezing lake in the dead of winter. If they can do it, can't I? That may have been the single worst decision of my life. So I'm shivering in my shower halfway through lathering my hair ready to cry from the cold. I just keep waiting for my body to go numb so I don't have to feel the blades of ice water pelting me. Somehow I actually manage to make it all the way to the point of putting in my conditioner before jumping out and hastily turning on the hot water tap for the sink. So there I am, standing stark naked with conditioner dripping down my back sticking as much as my body as possible into the steaming sink. After a couple of moments of pure ecstasy I regroup, jump back into the shower, and finish up just before the point of passing out. I definately think I should get a plaque or something from that Polar Bear thing as an honorary member. Seriously.

Ok, I realize this whole crazy long post has been about being freaking freezing so I will finally stop whining here and let you go. I promise my next one will actually be about productive stuff...I think.

4 comments:

Ivy said...

haha no wonder you're sick child!!! Poor baby! Miss ypu'n

L-Kat said...

there is nothing in this world that i hate more than cold. i remember when our hot water was out in my apartment and i wanted to cry every time i needed to be clean...and that was during SUMMER IN TEXAS. i can't imagine what you're going through. what a trooper!

miss you/love you.

Darrell Glenn said...

Hang in there darling, a blanket/ warm pajamas package is on the way! Also remember to offer it up as prayer for the needs of others. Lent is a perfect time for such things.

Shivonne said...

thanks all! it's so nice to hear sympathy...especially when you're traveling alone. also daddy, that's a great idea. i shouldn't be complaining, i've been given such a great opportunity. i love you guys...thanks for the perspective!

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine