Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Hello Everyone!

So....these last couple of days have been quite eventful. I've really been praying and thinking things over about what my future may hold, and I've come to a surprising but settling decision. I'm going to come home. No, I'm totally kidding. But I have made a major decision. Just after my last blog, I attended my orientation session on how to obtain a job and long term accomodations, and it definately gave me some much needed perspective. If I stay in London, get a job, and long-term accomodations, I will just have enough money to get buy after taxes. Although I have absolutely LOVED my time here, walking around, experiencing new things, meeting people from all over the world, my main reason for living here is to TRAVEL.

I've learned about a great option from orientation: live-in-jobs. These jobs are generally in hotels or pubs in more rural communities, particularly in Scotland. They pay minimum wage, take care of food and accomodation, and give me the weekends off. This would be a perfect opportunity to take advantage of in my situation. I know this isn't really what I had planned, but I don't want to spend my time here worrying about money and finding a long term job. If the opportunity presents itself, then great! If not, there is always the work in Ireland program...

So that is my big revelation. Though unexpected, I feel really happy in my decision. Please continue to pray for me. I'm calling the agency who will place me at my job, and I hope to make a good impression (if I'm lucky I'll get to work in reception instead of service!).

Oh one more thing to add to this never-ending post- all the new places I've been! So here they are:

1. Buckingham Palace and St. James' Park- I went here at night so I definately want to go back so I can walk through the park

2. The London Bridge (not the one that fell down, but the reconstructed one)

3. The Tower Bridge- GORGEOUS, amazing piece of architecture. However I didn't go up to the top because I wanted to save my money for...

4. The Tower of London- my very first castle! officially called HM Tower of London (Her/His Majesty's- it changes with the current monarch). This was so cool, I stayed for four hours. You get to explore all the different towers (including the bloody tower) and learn all the history behind it. I also got to see the crowned jewels, but I actually like the armory better. Funny huh?

5. Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum- so I've always wanted to see this, and I was super excited, even paid the exhorbitant £25 entry fee (that's $50 to us folks), and was deeply dissapointed. I mean the wax figures were cool and all, but there were tons of people running around. But there was the interesting part about how Madame Tussaud got her start during the revolutionary war by making wax death masks. pretty crazy huh?

6. Harrods- Torture. Pure Torture. I'm in the most lavish, beautiful, gorgeous collection of all the best designers in the world scaling five floors and presented in the grandest way possible, and...I'm poor. No purchases here, but very fun to look at (a little scared to touch though).

**Just a side note here. I specifically traveled to see the London Museum of Fashion and Design and it was being reinovated. I was really bummed. But hey, just another thing y'all can see with me when you visit! (also, The London Dungeon-except maybe ivy-which is a thrill experience going over medieval torture, the War Experience which lets you experience what the bombing attacks of WWII were like, and much much more!) Yes, I'm trying to bribe people to come with these cool options.

Whew! I bet you thought I'd never shut up. Well just in closing, I have FINALLY got my phone to work. Now I'm not really sure how much it costs to call back and forth, I just know I've prepaid for some time. But anyway, here is the number:

07766754593
I don't know if you need the country code, but if you do it is: 01+1+number
(i think)
Okay. I'm really done now. Much Love!!!!!

p.s. when I find a free wireless zone, i'll post pictures...i have A LOT!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Shivonne,
I am so glad to hear from you. I'm sooo excited about your adventures and plans. I love you.
Can't wait to read the next blog soon.
Love,
Mom

Ivy said...

shiv oh my gosh! Everything sounds amazing! I am so proud of you for being brave enough to change your plans when necessary. It sounds like a really good idea actually -especially because there is a greater chance you'll come home in July instead of stating forever for a job ;). It will be great to have weekends off! Make sure thats true before you head off to Scotland! I'm praying for you! And I would totally go to the torture place with the bombing re- enactments.. Im not afraid of history just of silly ghost and monsters! Love you love you love you!!!!!!!!

April said...

i wish i had your kind of courage :) it sounds like you are having such a great time exploring! Ed and I are going on a tour of Europe this summer, so we will DEFINITELY let you know when we make our stop to London! ..or wherever you might be :)

ps- do you have a mailing address of any kind?

L-Kat said...

umm. you're so awesome. it sounds like you're having an amazing time! how is the hostel? have you met any cool people to hang out with? i want to visit SO bad. and scotland sounds super cool! i love you and miss you so much! keep having the time of your life!

Shivonne said...

Thanks ladies! I'm glad y'all all don't think I'm crazy for changing my plans so suddenly...it's a little reassuring to say the least. I've actually met a few cool people who I roomed with here...
more to come in my next blog!
p.s. i would LOVE to see you this summer april...that would be awesome!

Whitney said...

dang...scotland or ireland, huh? niiiiice. im sure it will be AMAZING! ok but then you can come home and live with me again! and DO NOT play games like that with me, shivonne! i thought you were really coming home, you jerk. i got really excited for a second. you suck. but not really bc you are my idol, and i know you are having the time of your life! i miss you!

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine