Monday, February 25, 2008

Employment and Shivonne are no longer antonyms...

Ladies and Gentlemen, Family and Friends (and everyone in between) I am officially employed!!! Hoorah! The long days of waiting, procrastinating, worrying, and enjoying my lazy existance are over. I am now a general assistant at Monachyle Mhor Hotel located 60min from Edinburgh. It's very quaint actually- it's an 18th century farmhouse made over into a cozy yet chic 14 bedroom hotel. It's family run by two brothers and their sister. It's located in Trossachs National Park in Highland Perthshire (I just pretend to know what that means-my sense of geography here is awful). You can look over the website yourself if you like- http://mhor.net/

The craziest part is I start tomorrow! Yep, I check out of my hostel, jump on the train, and arrive in Stirling (which is about 1/2 an hour from my new digs) to meet one of my employers- Melanie. I'm a little overwhelmed at how fast this is moving, not quite sure what all the job entails, but I'm soooo excited at the prospect of a new challenge and to have the sense of finally being settled. My main worry now is greeting my new employer for the first time at the train station with my excessive amount of luggage. I hope it all fits in her car....

Anyways, I found out about this job about five minutes after I sent my CV out to about 5 new job prospects. Now I have the unpleasant task of calling the temp agency I registered with to say I no longer need their service, and to call the manager at Topshop where I was lined up to go to a recruitment night on Wednesday. I always feel so awkward in these situations, but I think it's good for your character.

Ok, I have to rush off now- I'm trying to go to mass at least three times a week for Lent and the service starts in nine minutes. I just want to say thank you for all y'alls prayer and support during these past two weeks...I might have finally found my place here on this side of the pond! Besos!

10 comments:

Whitney said...

yay!! im soooo happy for you! that's great! it sounds like it will be a really neat place to work, and amazingly beautiful im sure, too. when you wrote about it being a little farmhouse i thought about the office where jim and pam stay at dwights beat farm..haha. always have the office on my mind. anywho...congrats again!! cant wait to hear more about it once it all starts! and thanks for the sweetest message ever on my blog. i wish you were here with me, too. but there is no way i wouldnt want you to be where you are right now having the time of your life! nothing is the same without you! i love you and miss you!

Heather said...

Woo Hoo on the job! It sounds great and I am sure you are so relieved! You will do WONDERFUL!!!!

Darrell Glenn said...

Wow! What an opportunity. We were looking at the website, and looks like you have been really blessed. I was really touched by your Lenten resolution to attend Mass. I cannot tell you how much my life has changed since I decided to make frequent reception of the Eucharist a committment. God Bless. We love you.

April said...

Nice score on the job! They're lucky to have such a bright and dedicated young lady working for them! Good luck on the first day!

L-Kat said...

congratulations!! that's so exciting! how amazing...you have to tell us all about it! i bet you'll meet some awesome people working at a hotel. i love and miss you terribly but i LOVE to hear about all you're doing!

Ivy said...

hoooooooooraaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

can we coem visit you at this quaint hotel? and pretend we are dwight and his brother and jim and pam.. hahaha!

i miss you so much! i love you even more!

also i got your postcard! you are the best ever in the whole world!

and ALSO: what is your NEW address now!?

L-Kat said...

that hotel looks AMAZING!!! how beautiful!

i got your postcard today...you are precious to me.

Maura said...

ahh, I'm so excited for you. I'm sure you're going to be great at it, a little social thing like you. I'm so proud of you for putting yourself out there like that! I hope you're loving the experience. Love you and miss you!

Johnna said...

Just wanted to say...your life makes me happy. =)

Congrats!!

Love,
Johnna

dannybo said...

hey congrats shivonne on getting a job. i bet that was a big relief of your back. i hope you have alot of fun with the new job and your employer i am sure will love you, you are very energetic. i love and have fun

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine