Thursday, February 21, 2008

Wind, Blustering Wind

So that pretty much sums up my day in a nutshell. Hailing from Amarillo, Texas I thought I could handle wind. We're talking dust storming, tumble weeding, crazy windy days. While living in Austin people would complain how irritating a windy day was and I would just silently laugh thinking 'you don't even know what windy is.' I guess things really do come full circle because I'm sure quite a few Edinburghers (not sure that's the right term, oh well) are having a nice chuckle on my behalf.

I stepped outside the door this morning only to have it pushed directly back in my face from the violent force I was about to encounter. A little ruffled but otherwise unharmed, I regrouped and pushed diligently on. Crazy. Seriously, crazy winds just whipped around me as I tried to walk as quickly as possible to the office without actually running. I'm sure I looked quite a sight since my foot is still swollen so I was gimping along in an awkward, shuffle like manner. However, at the moment I was much more concerned with my vision or, more appropriately, lack there of. At this point in my life, I have the longest, fullest, curls I have ever had before which, under normal circumstances, I quite enjoy. I think it's a real sign of maturity to actually like your hair the way it naturally comes out of your head. It only took me 21 years to get here. Sorry for the tangent. Anyways, this crazy long curly hair formed a barrier whipping around my head in incessantly changing directions impairing my vision enormously. I tried tying it back with the handy ponytail holder I keep on my wrist to no avail...the wind ripped it right out of my hair. My scarf did manage to penetrate the hair barricade and poke me in the eye-don't ask me how. So it was in this manner that I blew into the shelter of the office windswept, breathless, and with a crazy fro in the place of the exceptionally well behaved curls I had managed to wake up with. I'm actually rather irritated with mother nature right now for ruining a perfectly good hair day.

Other than braving the wind, today has been rather quiet. I'm getting so spoiled by all these adventures and meeting awesome people that it seems quite the exception to have a slow day. I took advantage of it though, and after an hour on the internet I made it safely back to the hostel where I have been for the rest of the day reading, resting my over-exerted foot, and waiting for the temp agency to call me with job details. Hopefully this will be my last post about weather (which is a pretty boring and cliche thing to talk about now that I think about it) and I'll have some real adventures to relate soon...

3 comments:

Darrell Glenn said...

Is it Mark Twain who said, "Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody ever does anything about it."? Anyway we enjoy hearing from you, and even if it doesn't do any good, keep writing about it anyway, we like it. Keep the faith & God bless. I love you.

Kim said...

The difference is we know so little about Edinburgh that it is interesting to hear even about the weather. Have you tried a splint or ace bandage on your foot? Also,
try ibuprofen 800 mg (4 tabs) every 8 hrs for 5-7 days and keep your foot elevated as much as possible.
Love you.
p.s. We got the postcards today. Really enjoyed them. Thanks.

Shivonne said...

thanks mom and daddy! it's so great to hear from y'all. i have bought ibuprofen gel to put directly on my foot which seems to help a bit with the pain. i'm going to the free medical clinic either today or tomorrow though so maybe i'll learn more. i'm really enjoying the church i've been going to-it's a small but beautiful place with a very pleasant pastor. i've been trying to go at least three times a week for lent and it has really been helping. i love you all so much!

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel
read only a page." -St. Augustine